Again, very grateful for your participation. Please complete the form below to complete your engagement with this study:
Very grateful for your kind participation. To complete the project, there are three (3) short forms to complete. The first two (2) are below and it would be grand if you could complete it by the end of this week. The third one will be sent soon to be completed on its own. Thanks again and see you soon.
- In this engagement we are exploring a method to cultivate the skill of Mindful Awareness which is believed to be important for Design. It can be described as: an openness or receptivity to multiple perspectives. Science suggests that a way to develop this competence is by exploring the multiple aspects which make up our perception of ourselves. In this case, the aspects of our perception that will be explored are personal and professional values, which are believed to impact design decisions.
- It is very important to remember that this process calls for a short daily engagement of 5 to 15 minutes. It is preferred to have a short engagement of a few minutes every day than to skip a few days. Do it only once in each period of 24 hours.
- Use the images and descriptions below as a guide to your daily process. I will go over this prior to your start and will be available to answer any potential questions that arise. Thank you!!!
A Self is understood as a role or identity. Start with an Observing Self node and split it in two categories: Personal and Professional. The Observing Self represents the entity from where you are able to see your other roles. For example, you can identify one of your Professional Selves as a Design Team Member; and a Personal Self as a Cycling Enthusiast.
- Bring your awareness to your Observing Self role and ask yourself: What seems important now [to either a personal or professional self] ? See what arises. There are no wrong answers. For example, let's say your first thought was: "I'm concerned that the due date is approaching and we need to finish the concept".
- Now select a self, or role or identity in your life you think this belongs to. As an example, I used Design Team Member because this is the self where this particular concern belongs to, which is a Professional Self.
- Now decide what value you think this first concern belongs to. It may help to consider it as an appreciation for.. or a belief in ... In this example I chose Timeliness. Choose a value you are comfortable describing. This website contains 50 examples that you can browse over to get some ideas. There is a similar list here. You don't need to choose from the list (although you can), it is just offered for possible examples. Again, there are no wrong answers. Since this is a daily exercise, it is possible that values will refine overtime.
- Go back to your Observing Self role and ask yourself the question again: What else seems important now? See what arises.
It is up to you to discover which Self and which Value, your next thought belongs to. In this example, for illustration purposes, I chose Cycling as the Self (personal) to which the second thought or concern belongs to. And the value, Discipline. This is assuming you were a cycling enthusiast and your next thought was about keeping up with your training.
To complete the exercise for this day, all you need to do is complete this form and at the end just write the selves and the values arising from your reflection today. A minimum of two (2) Self/Value combos are suggested, but you are welcome to do as many as your time and comfort allow. Use the example below as a guide to how to submit them.
In this example it would be:
- Design Team Member Self: Timeliness; and
- Cycling Self: Discipline